Red Bull star designer Adrian Newey has been given one of the team’s 2009 cars.
He was presented with the RB5 at the Goodwood Festival of Speed today. He drove the car up the hill today and will drive it again tomorrow.
He joined Red Bull in 2006. The RB5 scored the team’s first F1 win at Shanghai last year and Sebastian Vettel’s win at Valencia was the team’s tenth victory.
I?óÔé¼Ôäóm overcome actually. The guys have obviously put a tremendous amount of effort into preparing the car for me. You can see it ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ the paint and the lines are absolutely perfect, the work that?óÔé¼Ôäós gone into doing the helmet and everything else is incredible. Also, the fact that the guys have given up a weekend to come down here and run it for me is fantastic.
I was nervous before my first run, as I?óÔé¼Ôäód never driven a car with a hand clutch before and had never left-foot braked expect in a go-kart ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ but it?óÔé¼Ôäós really fantastic to drive. A slight fright was that I wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót prepared for how long first gear is, so as I was pulling out of the paddock it was pushing me on a lot. I was saying to myself ?óÔé¼?£hand clutch, hand clutch?óÔé¼Ôäó, but the automatic reaction is to go for the left foot! We went up the hill on wet tyres, so it was a gentle drive. It?óÔé¼Ôäós just so great to be in the car and it?óÔé¼Ôäós such a great noise from the inside.
The plan now is to club together with some other guys I know who are lucky enough to have cars and hire a circuit, preferably a modern one with a bit of run off where I can enjoy driving the car without worrying about having a spin in front of a crowd!
Goodwood Festival of Speed
- F1 action at the 2016 Goodwood Festival of Speed
- Lotus 43: F1’s only 16-cylinder race-winner
- Goodwood Festival 2015: F1 cars of the 2000s
- Goodwood Festival 2015: Nineties F1 cars
- Goodwood Festival 2015: Eighties F1 cars
- Goodwood Festival 2015: Highlights from the hill
- Goodwood Festival 2015: Cars from F1’s first 30 years
- Minardi M189: Heroic minnows’ only race-leading car
- Raikkonen joins F1 stars at the Goodwood Festival
- More cars at the 2014 Goodwood Festival of Speed