Michael Schumacher says he intends to keep racing next year and intends to compete for a record-extending eighth championship title.
Speaking in the German Grand Prix press conference he said:
It?óÔé¼Ôäós what I mentioned the day that I officially publicised that I was rejoining Formula One and it is to win another title, that?óÔé¼Ôäós our aim, that?óÔé¼Ôäós what my focus is and that?óÔé¼Ôäós what I?óÔé¼Ôäóm here for. Very clearly.
He is not expecting to add a fifth home Grand Prix win this weekend – he believes a podium finish is the best he can expect to achieve:
It probably evolves into the same answer that I sort of mentioned before, because it is very clear that we are not in the position to come here and win the race, because as a package, we are not yet strong enough to do so. But, for us, we fight for our possibilities of results and if we could manage a podium, that would be a great and a fantastic result for us, for the fans, for our supporters, and that?óÔé¼Ôäós what we?óÔé¼Ôäóre aiming for.
Sitting between the two Red Bull drivers, Schumacher backed fellow German Sebastian Vettel to win the championship this year:
First of all, it?óÔé¼Ôäós obviously clear that both of the guys to the left and right of me have a very good package and a very good possibility to fight and win the championship, but you probably don?óÔé¼Ôäót have to forget the McLaren drivers, that they?óÔé¼Ôäóre still in the picture. I don?óÔé¼Ôäót think it?óÔé¼Ôäós finished yet, but naturally you sort of get the feelings of your national heart coming up and therefore you sort of have a German tendency. I?óÔé¼Ôäóm sorry Mark but I guess that?óÔé¼Ôäós normal.
2010 German Grand Prix
- Ferrari face FIA World Motor Sport Council on team orders charge tomorrow
- Ferrari: “Lauda missed out on a fine opportunity to keep his mouth shut”
- Lauda: Ferrari will get a pasting from WMSC
- From the stands: Tommy B and Katy watch the German GP at Hockenheim
- Technical review: German and Hungarian Grands Prix
- From the stands: Nikolai Vogler watches two races in one week
- “I am much quicker than Felipe” – how Alonso urged Ferrari to use team orders
- F1 fans slam rigged German Grand Prix
- 2010 German Grand Prix – the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)