Virgin were unable to capitalise on their best chance for several races to surpass HRT.
|Timo Glock||Jerome D’Ambrosio|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’27.591 (-0.018)||1’27.609|
Virgin drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
|Pit stop 1||Soft 25.147s|
|Pit stop 2||Medium 22.784s|
Glock had a scare in qualifying when his DRS didn’t close properly: “We had a problem with the rear wing ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ it just stayed open and didn?óÔé¼Ôäót close again.
“Then after a certain speed it just closed on its own. We have never had a problem with it before and didn?óÔé¼Ôäót have anything wrong yesterday, so we have to look at this and resolve it because it?óÔé¼Ôäós not very comfortable to experience that.
“It was very difficult and frustrating because we were very close to [Heikki] Kovalainen today and close ‘enough’ I think. With the wing working properly, who knows?”
With several cars retiring during the race, Glock had a rare chance to get Virgin ahead of HRT in in the constructors’ championship. But he finished almost 50 seconds behind Kovalainen, who occupied the precious 13th place.
Jarno Trulli made an early first pit stop and Glock might have been able to stay in front of him with a slightly earlier and quicker first pit stop. But Kovalainen never looked under threat from the Virgin.
D’Ambrosio’s car developed a gearbox glitch without warning during the formation lap: “I was really looking forward to the race and then during the formation lap I realised that I had no second gear.
“I started the race but the car was undriveable, so I had to come back into the garage and retire.”
2011 Italian Grand Prix
- Sebastian Vettel named Driver of the Weekend for Monza
- Rate the race result: 2011 Italian Grand Prix
- FIA steward Daly says Schumacher should have had penalty
- 2011 Italian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your Italian GP driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Vettel poised to clinch second title
- McLaren: Button leads Hamilton home again
- Ferrari: Alonso admits “the title is gone”
- Mercedes: Schumacher fifth after Hamilton battle
- Renault: Senna claims first points finish
Image ?é?® Virgin Racing