Lotus has officially announced it will be re-named Caterham in 2012.
A statement issued by the team said: “Proton, Group Lotus, 1Malaysia Racing Team and its owner Tony Fernandes are delighted to announce that the legal dispute in the English Courts relating to the ‘Lotus’ and ‘Team Lotus’ brands has now ended amicably with the parties agreeing settlement terms earlier this month.
“The terms of the settlement are confidential but the deal sees the ‘Lotus’ brand reunited under the sole ownership of Group Lotus. This includes the rights to the ‘Lotus’ and ‘Team Lotus’ names in Formula 1 motor racing.
“1MRT will race in the 2012 Formula 1 season under the name ‘Caterham F1 Team’ and will use a ‘Caterham’ chassis.
“The deal also sees a working relationship established between the parties and they will work together on future projects in the automotive field.”
Team Lotus CEO Riad Asmat said: “We are proud of what we have achieved by bringing the Team Lotus name back to Formula 1 when many tried and although we are sad to say goodbye to Team Lotus we are excited about owning our own future and being in control of our own destiny.
“Now we have no one to be compared to. We make our own history and we will remain green and yellow.
“Now we look forward to an exciting future racing under our new team name of Caterham F1 Team. Please continue to support our very special spirit of never say die and support us on the track as we move up the field and demonstrate that the good do win.”
See the updated list of 2012 F1 drivers and teams.
2012 F1 season
- Which was F1’s best down-to-the-wire title fight?
- Hulkenberg’s missed win should have been “high point” for Force India
- Kubica reveals he almost withdrew from fateful 2011 rally – and had 2012 Ferrari F1 deal
- 2012 F1 season Blu-Ray “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- 2012 F1 season DVD “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- New team radio reveals Vettel’s penalty protests
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2012 season review
- What F1 Fanatics thought of 2012: The year in polls
- The drivers and cars of 2012
- F1 Fanatic’s 50 article highlights of 2012
Browse all 2012 F1 season articles
Image © Team Lotus