Principals from two teams who Kimi Raikkonen won races for advised Frank Williams to sign the former world champion.
McLaren’s Martin Whitmarsh and Ferrari’s Stefano Domenicali gave the advice to Williams in today’s press conference.
Whitmarsh said: “Try and sign him. Kimi, we all know he is quick.
“I think people underestimate how intelligent he can be. I hope that he is hungry. I am sure he hasn’t lost the capability to thrill us in Formula 1 so I think it would be fantastic for Formula 1.
“I wouldn’t ordinarily presume to advise Sir Frank who he should sign but I think it would be exciting if he did.”
Domenicali added: “Of course, I would not give any advice to Frank. He has long experience. A lot longer than me.
“For sure, I know Kimi very well. He is very talented, very strong, and if he wants to come back he has something that wants to show to everyone about him, about the fact that he was the last driver to win the world championship with us and he will want to show he is still one of the strongest.”
Frank Williams would not be drawn on speculation he could hire the 2007 world champion, saying: “I cannot make any comment about supposition.”
2011 F1 season
- Kubica reveals he almost withdrew from fateful 2011 rally – and had 2012 Ferrari F1 deal
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles