Force India headed the times sheets at the end of the second day of testing at the Circuit de Catalunya thanks to Nico Hulkenberg.
The team’s new recruit for 2012 lapped the Spanish track in 1’22.608 – over half a second fastest than Sebastian Vettel’s best time for yesterday.
The world champion completed his week’s testing with the third-fastest time, but spent a long time in the pits during the middle of the day. Mark Webber will take over from him tomorrow.
Between the pair was Sauber’s Sergio Perez, despite suffering an exhaust problem late in the session.
Fernando Alonso moved up to fourth late in the session with a lap of 1’23.180.
Fifth-fastest Daniel Ricciardo stopped twice on the track, causing two red flag interruptions. He did not return to the track following the second which was caused by a driveshaft problem.
Lewis Hamilton was sixth-quickest and was the busiest driver of the day, completing 120 laps.
Williams test driver Valtteri Bottas had his first run in the FW34 but ended the day eighth, over a second off the next-slowest car. Behind him were Caterham debutant Vitaly Petrov and Charles Pic in Marussia’s 2011 car.
|1||Nico Hulkenberg||Force India-Mercedes VJM05||1’22.608||112|
|2||Sergio Perez||Sauber-Ferrari C31||1’22.648||85||0.040|
|3||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault RB8||1’22.891||104||0.283|
|4||Fernando Alonso||Ferrari F2012||1’23.180||87||0.572|
|5||Daniel Ricciardo||Toro Rosso-Ferrari STR7||1’23.639||50||1.031|
|6||Lewis Hamilton||McLaren-Mercedes MP4-27||1’23.806||120||1.198|
|7||Nico Rosberg||Mercedes W03||1’24.555||82||1.947|
|8||Valtteri Bottas||Williams-Renault FW34||1’25.738||117||3.130|
|9||Vitaly Petrov||Caterham-Renault CT01||1’26.605||69||3.997|
|10||Charles Pic||Marussia-Cosworth MVR-02||1’27.343||108||4.735|
2012 F1 season
- Which was F1’s best down-to-the-wire title fight?
- Hulkenberg’s missed win should have been “high point” for Force India
- Kubica reveals he almost withdrew from fateful 2011 rally – and had 2012 Ferrari F1 deal
- 2012 F1 season Blu-Ray “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- 2012 F1 season DVD “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- New team radio reveals Vettel’s penalty protests
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2012 season review
- What F1 Fanatics thought of 2012: The year in polls
- The drivers and cars of 2012
- F1 Fanatic’s 50 article highlights of 2012
Browse all 2012 F1 season articles
Image © Force India F1 Team