Maria de Villota, the former Marussia test drive who lost an eye in a crash last year, has died.
De Villota was found dead in a hotel in Seville according to local reports.
The 33-year-old was critically injured while testing Marussia’s F1 car at Duxford Aerodrome last year. Following intensive surgery she made a recovery but her right eye could not be saved.
Following her accident and recovery De Villota, the daugher of former F1 driver Emilio de Villota, worked for the FIA’s Action for Road Safety project and had written an autobiography “Life is a Gift”.
F1 Fanatic extends its sincere sympathies to her family.
2013 F1 season
- Mercedes originally favoured Heidfeld for Hamilton’s seat
- Take F1 Fanatic’s new 2013 season quiz
- F1 Fanatic’s new year thanks and credits 2014
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2013 season review
- The drivers, teams and cars of 2013
Browse all 2013 F1 season articles