“I think Schumacher win in the fifth year with Ferrari. I’m in the fifth year now so hopefully I can repeat some of the success that he had,” said Alonso. Schumacher Schumacher joined Ferrari in 1996 and took until 2000 to win the title.
“Obviously in the last four years we had some opportunities, especially in 2010, 2012, we were very, very close to winning the championship,” Alonso added. “So this year we’ll try again and hopefully this time will be a good one.”
Alonso admitted the arrival of 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen makes for a strong line-up at the team this year.
“I think Kimi and me as a team we should be quite strong in the paper because we’ve had some success in the past in the Formula One career.
“But this you need to discover, every year we start from zero. If we do well we will have a very strong team, we can deliver some good results for Ferrari. If we don’t do good enough some other team will have another best pairing drivers. So it’s up to us to deliver and do a good job.”
“I think in 2014 the Formula One will change a lot with the new regulations,” he added. “That will take also some implications from the driving styles so definitely I’m looking forward to discover this new Formula One.”
2014 F1 season
- Fear of rules change led Mercedes to run dominant 2014 engine in “idle mode”
- Bianchi’s fight for life ends nine months after Japanese Grand Prix crash
- Mercedes’ Bahrain battle “too dangerous” – Warwick
- Streiff’s comments on Bianchi crash investigation prompts legal action from FIA
- Is stewarding improving? Analysing 2014’s penalties
Browse all 2014 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Ferrari/Ercole Colombo