Mercedes and brake supplier Brembo have explained the cause of the brake failure which led to Lewis Hamilton’s crash during qualifying for the German Grand Prix.
A statement issued on Sunday by the two said “both parties can now confirm that the quality of the disc material was not a contributory factor”.
“Instead, extensive analysis and experimentation has demonstrated that the specific interaction between the structure of the brake material in question and the brake mounting on the F1 W05 Hybrid was at the root of the failure,” it continued.
“Countermeasures have already been applied to both the disc geometry and the mounting to ensure there can be no repeat of the failure.”
Following the investigation Mercedes say they can “once again run Brembo brake disc material, should it choose to do so, in race conditions”.
2014 German Grand Prix
- Mercedes explain cause of Hamilton’s brake failure
- Three-in-a-row for Bottas in Driver of the Weekend
- Hockenheim continues 2014’s run of top races
- 2014 German GP Predictions Championship results
- 2014 German Grand Prix team radio transcript
Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei