Pastor Maldonado is set to become the second driver this year to receive a penalty for using a sixth engine component.
Ahead of the Japanese Grand Prix Lotus notified the FIA they will be installing a new internal combustion engine [ICE] in his car, which will be his sixth of the season.
Maldonado’s team mate Romain Grosjean along with both Mercedes, McLaren, Williams and Caterham drivers have all moved onto their fifth ICEs with five races remaining.
Esteban Gutierrez, Jean-Eric Vergne, Daniel Ricciardo, Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez are the only remaining drivers who have not yet used their fifth ICE.
2014 Japanese Grand Prix
- Bianchi’s fight for life ends nine months after Japanese Grand Prix crash
- Streiff’s comments on Bianchi crash investigation prompts legal action from FIA
- No improvement in Bianchi’s condition
- FIA plans changes after Bianchi crash but report says his speed was to blame
- Bianchi returns to France but condition still “critical”
Image © Lotus/LAT