Ocon will have a two-day test in a 2012-specification Lotus E20 at the Ricardo Tormo road circuit in Valencia on October the 22nd and 23rd.
Ocon beat Max Verstappen to the most prestigious F3 title at Imola on Sunday, pulling 86 points clear with 75 available in the remaining races. Verstappen will make his F1 debut for Toro Rosso next year.
Lotus chariman Gerard Lopez described the French driver as “a tremendous talent for the future”.
“He has shown himself to be a superb driver as part of our Lotus F1 Team Junior programme, we are proud of him and he truly deserves to be given every opportunity to take his career to the next level.
“To that end he will start testing in the Lotus F1 Team simulator at Enstone this week ahead of driving the E20 at Valencia later this month.”
Ocon, who has also raced in Formula Renault 3.5 this year, said: “The support and back-up I have been given since 2011 has enabled me to win the FIA Formula Three championship against some strong competition and I can’t wait to get started on the next step of my training.”
2014 F1 season
- Which was F1’s best down-to-the-wire title fight?
- Fear of rules change led Mercedes to run dominant 2014 engine in “idle mode”
- Mercedes’ Bahrain battle “too dangerous” – Warwick
- Streiff’s comments on Bianchi crash investigation prompts legal action from FIA
- Is stewarding improving? Analysing 2014’s penalties