Sauber has confirmed Marcus Ericsson will join them for the 2015 season.
The Swedish driver made his F1 debut for Caterham this year, but is without a drive at the moment since the team went into administration.
“Fresh from a very turbulent week, I was suddenly given my best early Christmas present ever,” said Ericsson. “It makes me proud as Sauber is known to be one of the best teams in developing young drivers.”
The news means one of Sauber’s two current drivers – Esteban Gutierrez and Adrian Sutil – will not remain with the team next year.
“We have got to know Marcus as a highly motivated driver,” said team principal Monisha Kaltenborn. “He did not have an easy rookie season this year in Formula One, however, he kept calm and improved continuously, mainly in the last races.”
“We are convinced that signing Marcus can give the team a fresh impetus.”
View the updated list of 2015 F1 drivers and teams
2015 F1 season
- How a secret Mercedes engine mode helped pressure Vettel into a race-ending puncture
- Over 100 driver penalties issued in record-breaking 2015
- Part-time racer? The facts of Hamilton’s ‘jet-set lifestyle’
- The Complete F1 Fanatic 2015 season review
- Your favourite – and least favourite – F1 races of 2015
Image © Caterham/LAT