The four-times champion drove a Ferrari F2012 – the very model Fernando Alonso used when he finished second to Vettel in the championship two years ago.
“Obviously it’s already winter time so it was quite cold doing some laps,” said Vettel. “But it was a great feeling,” he added, “it’s always enjoyable to be in the car.”
“Looking back to the years when I was 11, 12 years old, trying to look over the fence and trying to see a glimpse of Michael [Schumacher] running on the track – today I was on the track and I saw the Tifosi around… there is a lot of fairytales about Ferrari and how it feels to drive a red car and so on, and in the end I can only confirm all these fairytales, it’s not just a story, it’s really all a true legend that exists.
“It feels really, really special to become part of that, to sit inside the car, to see the people coming, running to the track and trying to climb the walls to see the car.”
Vettel wore a white helmet bearing the date and slogan “il mio Primo giorno in Ferrari”, meaning “my first day in Ferrari”.
Vettel drives a Ferrari F2012
- 2023 post-season F1 testing at Yas Marina in pictures
- 2023 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in pictures
- 2023 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix qualifying day in pictures
- 2023 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix practice in pictures
- Yas Marina’s new podium and more pictures from the build-up to the Abu Dhabi GP
2015 F1 season
- How a secret Mercedes engine mode helped pressure Vettel into a race-ending puncture
- Over 100 driver penalties issued in record-breaking 2015
- Part-time racer? The facts of Hamilton’s ‘jet-set lifestyle’
- The Complete F1 Fanatic 2015 season review
- Your favourite – and least favourite – F1 races of 2015
Images © Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Lotus/LAT, Williams/LAT, McLaren/LAT, Mercedes/Hoch Zwei, Daimler/Hoch Zwei, Red Bull/Getty, Force India, Sauber, Caterham/LAT, Marussia, Pirelli