Ferrari development driver Raffaele Marciello has been appointed Sauber’s test and reserve driver for the 2015 season.
Marciello will participate in some Friday practice sessions next year. He joins a substantially overhauled line-up at the Ferrari-powered team, which has already replaced both its race drivers for 2015.
Ferrari has also confirmed Marciello will continue in GP2 for a second season, having finished eighth in this year’s championship.
Marciello, who won the European Formula Three championship last year, said Sauber “has a long tradition of building up excellent drivers”.
“I really think that this is the best choice for my future career,” he added.
View the updated list of 2015 F1 drivers and teams
2015 F1 season
- How a secret Mercedes engine mode helped pressure Vettel into a race-ending puncture
- Over 100 driver penalties issued in record-breaking 2015
- Part-time racer? The facts of Hamilton’s ‘jet-set lifestyle’
- The Complete F1 Fanatic 2015 season review
- Your favourite – and least favourite – F1 races of 2015