An unwell Lewis Hamilton has stood down from today’s test at the Circuit de Catalunya, leading Mercedes to call up test driver Pascal Wehrlein.
“Lewis Hamilton is unwell and not able to continue driving today,” Mercedes confirmed on Twitter.
Wehrlein was already testing for Force India and had completed ten laps in the team’s 2014 car before being called in shortly before the first two hours were over.
The 20-year-old will spend the rest of the day at the wheel of Mercedes’ new W06. The team said he will resume their run plan in the afternoon once the car has been adjusted for him.
Wehrlein is due to return to the wheel of the Force India on Saturday, when Hamilton will also return to the Mercedes providing he is well enough.
Sergio Perez will take over from Wehrlein at the wheel of the Force India for the rest of the day.
2015 F1 season
- How a secret Mercedes engine mode helped pressure Vettel into a race-ending puncture
- Over 100 driver penalties issued in record-breaking 2015
- Part-time racer? The facts of Hamilton’s ‘jet-set lifestyle’
- A unique atmosphere: Going to the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- The Complete F1 Fanatic 2015 season review