Carlos Sainz Jnr pronounced himself happy with Toro Rosso’s upgrade package for the STR10 which the team ran or the first time today.
The car is substantially changed from its launch specification and features a much shorter nose with a Williams-style tip.
“Towards the end of the morning, I managed to do a real run,” said Sainz. I could immediately feel an improvement in the car, in terms of its overall grip and balance.”
“That was a very positive and motivating feeling for the rest of the day,” he added. Sainz ended the first day of the final test with the seventh-fastest time, having only used the medium and hard tyre compounds.
The rest of the day was disrupted by a technical problem, Sainz added. “We did have an issue that cost us some track time in the afternoon, but the guys did a great job to fix it and get me out on track again, with enough time to do two more useful runs before the chequered flag.”
Sainz also tested a development medium tyres for Pirelli. His best lap on that tyre, 1’27.449, was half a second off his best on the regular medium compound.
2015 F1 season
- How a secret Mercedes engine mode helped pressure Vettel into a race-ending puncture
- Over 100 driver penalties issued in record-breaking 2015
- Part-time racer? The facts of Hamilton’s ‘jet-set lifestyle’
- The Complete F1 Fanatic 2015 season review
- Your favourite – and least favourite – F1 races of 2015