The potential arrival of Haas next year could increase grid numbers to 22. The current maximum is 26.
“We may make a tender again for one or two teams to encourage teams,” said Todt. “And try to reduce the costs.”
While some have sought to blame Formula One’s V6 hybrid turbo engine formula, introduced last year, for an increase in costs, Todt said the change was necessary for the sport.
“I feel it is one of the few sensible decisions which has been taken over the last period,” said Todt.
“Formula One is the pinnacle of motor sport, so we must be an example to society. It is not all happening in a kind of closed golden-gated community where nothing is happening on the other side of the world.”
2015 F1 season
- How a secret Mercedes engine mode helped pressure Vettel into a race-ending puncture
- Over 100 driver penalties issued in record-breaking 2015
- Part-time racer? The facts of Hamilton’s ‘jet-set lifestyle’
- A unique atmosphere: Going to the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- The Complete F1 Fanatic 2015 season review