Formula One won’t just have a new Virtual Safety Car in 2015 – the Safety Car itself is being replaced with a new model.
The Mercedes AMG GT S will replace the SLS AMG GT which has been in use since mid-2012. The twin-turbo V8-engined GT S produces 510bhp, which is around 80bhp less than its predecessor.
Former DTM driver Bernd Maylander will remain at the wheel.
Mercedes has been the official supplier of F1’s Safety Car since 1996, when a C36 AMG was the model of choice.
However the introduction of the Virtual Safety Car this year may mean the actual Safety Car makes fewer appearances.
2015 F1 season
- How a secret Mercedes engine mode helped pressure Vettel into a race-ending puncture
- Over 100 driver penalties issued in record-breaking 2015
- Part-time racer? The facts of Hamilton’s ‘jet-set lifestyle’
- A unique atmosphere: Going to the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- The Complete F1 Fanatic 2015 season review