Despite the team battling to get the car out on the track for a single lap in the closing minutes of the first qualifying session, the engine cover ripped off of the Toro Rosso as Verstappen entered the Curva Grande, littering the circuit with debris.
The stewards have now imposed a drive through penalty for Verstappen after they deemed the team released the car ‘in an unsafe condition’.
Verstappen must serve his penalty during tomorrow’s race. The rookie is due to start from the very back of the grid after a series of penalties for power unit component changes before qualifying.
2015 Italian Grand Prix
- A unique atmosphere: Going to the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- Perfect Hamilton wins Driver of the Weekend
- Little action in 2015 but Monza remains a favourite
- Mercedes investigation a “misunderstanding” – Pirelli
- 2015 Italian Grand Prix team radio transcript