Pirelli has specified drivers must use the soft and medium compound tyres during the first race of 2016 in Australia as they did last year.
Formula One’s official tyre supplier has also selected the super-soft tyre for drivers to use in Q3. Drivers who do not reach Q3 will have the set available to use in the race.
All drivers will have one of each of the three types of tyre for the weekend, and can choose as many further sets of each as they wish for their remaining ten sets of tyres. They have one week to inform the FIA of their choices.
Pirelli has previously indicated the new ‘ultra soft’ tyre is likely to make its first appearance of the year at a street race.
2016 F1 season
- Which was F1’s best down-to-the-wire title fight?
- Are tickets too dear? Crowds fell at some tracks in 2016
- F1’s TV audience decline stopped in 2016
- Brawn among key F1 hires announced by Liberty
- Has F1 hit ‘peak penalties’? Fewer sanctions in 2016