Kimi Raikkonen has been given two penalty points on his licence for failing to obey the rules regarding the pit lane entrance during the European Grand Prix.
Prior to the race drivers were told they must enter the pits if they put all four wheels to the left of the pit lane entry line, to reduce the risk of collisions at the pit lane entrance. However while racing Daniel Ricciardo at one point Raikkonen placed all four wheels to the left of the line but did not pit, cutting the line to continue around the lap.
Raikkonen was given a five-second time penalty during the race, which did not change his finishing position. He was also given two penalty points on his licence, giving him a total of five.
Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene said he had “no complaints for Kimi’s penalty: he was racing hard and overtook a lot of cars”.
2016 European Grand Prix
- Haas need warmer weather – Grosjean
- Caption Competition 106: Ecclestone and Tilke
- Podium earns Perez Driver of the Weekend win
- Baku’s first race ranked among the worst since 2008
- 2016 European Grand Prix team radio transcript