The controversial last-lap collision between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg was caught on camera by a fan at the Red Bull Ring.
Hamilton tried to pass him race-leading team mate on the outside of turn two only for Rosberg to run wide into his team mate. The contact broke Rosberg’s front wing and left him to collect fourth place while Hamilton clinched the victory.
“It was disappointing to lose the race like that,” said Rosberg. “It got quite difficult on the final few laps as I had to manage my brakes and I was confident that I could bring the victory home.”
“I had the inside line and we both went into the corner a bit long. I was surprised that Lewis turned in and it ultimately meant that we came together – that’s how the sport goes sometimes but it’s really difficult to lose the race in that way.”
The Austrian Grand Prix stewards ruled Rosberg was responsible for the collision but the ten-second penalty they gave him allowed him to keep his fourth place.
2016 Austrian Grand Prix
- Long stint didn’t cause Vettel’s tyre blow-out in Austria
- Point earns Wehrlein Driver of the Weekend win
- Mercedes will use team orders if Austrian GP scenario recurs
- Hamilton won’t change his approach after Mercedes discussions
- 2016 Austrian Grand Prix team radio transcript