The Austrian Grand Prix raised further questions over whether Formula One’s new radio restrictions have gone too far after Sergio Perez crashed out in the closing stages due to a brake problem.
Force India were concerned they had been unable to advise him about the extent of his braking troubles, which had already led the team’s other car to retire.
Teams are allowed to warn their drivers about “critical” technical problems with their cars. Force India did this earlier in the season at Melbourne, the first race under the new restrictions, advising Perez his “front brake wear is critical” and he “will not make it to the end like this”.
Perez retired from the race while trying to stay in touch with Romain Grosjean’s Haas.
“I was pushing hard to stay close to Grosjean because I knew he had a five seconds time penalty,” he explained. “Then, on the final lap, going into turn three, I had no brakes and went straight on.”
While the new radio restrictions has led to a reduction in the amount of radio traffic, it still seems there are many more messages not being broadcast. Messages involving just eight drivers from the 22-strong field were
Go ad-free for just £1 per month
2016 Austrian Grand Prix team radio transcript
|12||To Daniel Ricciardo||We’re going to be stopping soon – push now, push now.|
|14||From Pascal Wehrlein||There’s some light rain.|
|16||From Pascal Wehrlein||Some rain drops in turn two.|
|18||To Jenson Button||Good job Jenson, let’s get Nasr now.|
|24||From Pascal Wehrlein||He’s changing the direction five times.|
|24||To Pascal Wehrlein||Yeah, we’ll get on to Charlie.|
|27||From Sebastian Vettel||Yeah I think you’ve seen rear-right exploded. Nothing I can do. Engine off, that’s it. Sorry guys.|
|27||From Nico Rosberg||I went over the debris so check the pressures.|
|36||To Jenson Button||OK Jenson’s lets try and make some progress. Maximum attack through these cars, maximum attack.|
|39||To Daniel Ricciardo||OK Daniel there may be light drops of rain in turn two.|
|45||To Lewis Hamilton||OK Lewis suspension loads at turn nine are critical so just be careful on the kerbs.|
|49||From Nico Hulkenberg||Guys think of bailing out, I have so much vibration.|
|54||To Lewis Hamilton||OK Lewis close that gap as much as you can. It’s Hammer time.|
|57||To Lewis Hamilton||Nico car ahead, he is on the super-soft tyre. 16 laps remaining – need to attack and pass on-track.|
|57||From Lewis Hamilton||Why is he on a softer tyre than me?.|
|58||To Lewis Hamilton||So Lewis we think that this is the right tyre to get to the end.|
|61||From Kimi Raikkonen||Come on, blue flags.|
|61||To Kimi Raikkonen||Copy copy he’s getting them.|
|61||From Kimi Raikkonen||He is not getting the blue flags.|
|VL||To Lewis Hamilton||OK Lewis well done mate not the race we were after but good result.|
|VL||From Lewis Hamilton||I was on the outside. It wasn’t me that crashed.|
Lap: Refers to lap message was broadcast on. There may be a delay between messages being said and being broadcast. PR = pre-race; FL = formation lap; VL = victory lap.
Message: Repetitive or irrelevant messages omitted. Notes in italics. Highlights in bold.
Follow F1 Fanatic Live on Twitter for team radio highlights during all live F1 sessions.
Austrian Grand Prix data
- 2016 Austrian Grand Prix tyre strategies and pit stops
- 2016 Austrian Grand Prix lap charts
- 2016 Austrian Grand Prix lap times and fastest laps
2016 Austrian Grand Prix
- Long stint didn’t cause Vettel’s tyre blow-out in Austria
- Point earns Wehrlein Driver of the Weekend win
- Mercedes will use team orders if Austrian GP scenario recurs
- Hamilton won’t change his approach after Mercedes discussions
- 2016 Austrian Grand Prix team radio transcript
Team radio transcripts
- Penalty for Safety Car error was just one of Latifi’s frustrations in Baku
- “Who’s next?” “Why are they waiting?” Concern and confusion on drivers’ radios after Baku crashes
- ‘I need that point, we’ve lost a ton’: Hamilton team radio transcript analysis
- ‘We’ll discuss what went wrong’: Hamilton and Verstappen team radio transcript analysis
- Vettel vs Leclerc round two: Complete Ferrari Russian Grand Prix team radio transcript