Rio Haryanto will remain with Manor as the team’s reserve driver after losing his race seat at the team.
Manor announced yesterday Haryanto will be replaced by Esteban Ocon for the rest of the year. Haryanto said on social media he was “no longer a race driver in 2016 due to lack of funds”.
“Thank you all for your kind messages,” he added. “Looking forward for the next challenge.”
Haryanto made his F1 race debut with Manor at the beginning of the season. He achieved a best result of 15th place in Monaco.
2016 F1 season
- Are tickets too dear? Crowds fell at some tracks in 2016
- F1’s TV audience decline stopped in 2016
- Brawn among key F1 hires announced by Liberty
- Has F1 hit ‘peak penalties’? Fewer sanctions in 2016
- Brundle reveals Monaco GP heart attack