A dramatic crash seconds after the Singapore Grand Prix start left Nico Hulkenberg pointing the wrong way as the field rushed towards him on the pit straight.
The alarming moment was captured by a spectator in the stand opposite, revealing the speed at which Hulkenberg’s rivals were bearing down on him in the incident.
Hulkenberg said he was “extremely disappointed” to crash out just 50 metres into the race.
“I had made such a good start – probably my best getaway off the line this year,” he said. “I went for the gap between the two Toro Rossos, which was there, but obviously things got very tight.”
“I had Daniil [Kvyat] on my right and Carlos [Sainz] on my left, and Carlos hit my left rear, which sent me into the wall. I think all the avoiding actions led to the gap I was in disappearing. So it was a really frustrating end for me.”
2016 Singapore Grand Prix
- Narrow Singapore Driver of the Weekend win for Rosberg
- Singapore Grand Prix gets second-highest rating
- 2016 Singapore Grand Prix team radio transcript
- Hamilton expects more braking problems in 2017
- Top ten pictures from the 2016 Singapore Grand Prix