Fernando Alonso salvaged seventh place after starting last on the grid in his McLaren.
Alonso made another of his fast starts and was inside the top ten by lap four. He went on to finish two places ahead of his team mate and was gaining on Valtteri Bottas and Sergio Perez in the final lap.s
Jenson Button rued his misfortune on the radio after slipping behind Alonso in the closing stages of the race. He pitted shortly before the final Virtual Safety Car period which cost him several places.
2016 Malaysian Grand Prix lap chart
The positions of each driver on every lap. Scroll to zoom, drag to pan, click name to highlight, right-click to reset. Toggle drivers using controls below:
Go ad-free for just £1 per month
2016 Malaysian Grand Prix race chart
The gaps between each driver on every lap compared to the leader’s average lap time. Very large gaps omitted. Scroll to zoom, drag to pan and right-click to reset. Toggle drivers using controls below:
2016 Malaysian Grand Prix
- Alonso wins Driver of the Weekend after salvaging seventh
- Dramatic Malaysian GP gets strong rating
- 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix team radio transcript
- 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix Predictions Championship results
- Top ten pictures from the 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix