A survey of over 200,000 Formula One fans claims Lewis Hamilton has cemented his position as by far the sport’s most popular driver.
More than twice as many people ranked Hamilton as their favourite driver compared to two years ago. The report, commissioned by the Motorsport network, says Hamilton “now commands a level of global fan support not seen since that enjoyed by the great Michael Schumacher”.
Fernando Alonso is the second most popular driver and has also enjoyed a surge in support since 2015, despite having gone four years without winning a grand prix. Kimi Raikkonen – currently the most popular driver among F1 Fanatic readers – is third.
The survey also indicates strong support for reintroducing competition between tyre suppliers. F1 has been a single-tyre formula since 2007. However the number of fans keen to see the return of a tyre war has fallen since 2015 to slightly more than 50%.
Bringing back V8 engines and reintroducing refuelling are also among the popular potential changes to the sporting regulations, backed by around 30% of those who responded to the survey.
You can view the full report on the survey findings in this PDF.
Show your support
Which drivers are you supporting in 2017? Here’s how you can show your support for all the drivers and teams on the grid on F1 Fanatic:
- Log in with your F1 Fanatic account (sign up here if you don’t have one)
- Select Edit My Profile from the top-right menu
- Select F1 Teams and Drivers
- Make your selections then click Save Changes
2017 F1 season
- Stripping Verstappen of 2017 US podium was “one of the toughest decisions” – steward
- Sepang pays Haas compensation for Grosjean’s 2017 crash
- Williams revenues rose in 2017 after Bottas deal with Mercedes
- New kerbs at COTA in response to Verstappen’s corner-cutting
- Australian Grand Prix cost government £56 million last year