Pirelli has confirmed the new tyre compound it will introduce in 2018 will be coloured pink.
The softer tyre will be the sixth dry-weather slick compound in their range. It is to join the ultra-soft (purple), super-soft (red), soft (yellow), medium (white) and hard (orange). The intermediate and wet weather tyres are green and blue respectively.
Formula One’s official tyre supplier used the pink colour for its ultra-soft tyres at the United States Grand Prix weekend as an initiative to support breast cancer awareness.
The name for its new tyre has not yet been chosen and fans have been invited to submit their suggestions. Pirelli has proposed ‘megasoft’, ‘extremesoft’ and ‘hypersoft’ as options.
Pirelli will remain at Interlagos following this weekend’s race to conduct a tyre test with McLaren. A further tyre test will be held following the season finale at Yas Marina.
— Pirelli Motorsport (@pirellisport) November 12, 2017
2018 F1 season
- McLaren staff told us we were “totally crazy” to take Honda engines in 2018 – Tost
- ‘It doesn’t matter if we start last’: How Red Bull’s junior team aided Honda’s leap forward
- Honda’s jet division helped F1 engineers solve power unit problem
- McLaren Racing losses rise after Honda split
- Ricciardo: Baku “s***show” was Red Bull’s fault