Alonso, who won the race in 2006 and 2007, described the 2018 edition as “extremely boring.”
Drivers were not able to demonstrate the performance of their cars in the race, said Alonso. “There is no pace, there is no speed. You follow the cars in front of you.”
“I think probably we need to give something to the fans at the end of the car just to pay a little bit back the ticket,” he added.
A car failure prevented Alonso from continuing his points-scoring run. “Two laps before the [pit] stop we had some loss of power,” he said. “Then at the end we were stuck in fifth gear. ”
“I don’t know if it’s an engine problem or a gearbox problem or something in between. It was disappointing, obviously we were seventh at that point, we secured seventh because they aren’t overtaking in this place.
“They [would have been] good points for the team but unfortunately today we couldn’t see the chequered flag.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
2018 F1 season
- Honda’s jet division helped F1 engineers solve power unit problem
- McLaren Racing losses rise after Honda split
- Ricciardo: Baku “s***show” was Red Bull’s fault
- “Drive to Survive Episode 1: All to Play For” reviewed
- F1’s television and social media audiences rose last year