Nicolas Latifi kept the Formula Two title leaders behind him to claim victory in the sprint race at Spa.
The DAMS driver crossed the finishing line over 10 seconds clear of Lando Norris. The McLaren junior driver closed to within five points of George Russell in the championship, as the ART driver could only manage seventh.
The experience of an extra year in F2 became apparent under foggy, changeable conditions and a relatively cold track. As the junior series has no tyre blankets, even the softest compound must be ‘track warmed’ to hit operating temperatures here at a chilly Spa.
Despite scrapping behind him, Latifi held his lead to the end. Artem Markelov temporarily got ahead of Norris for second before slipping back with an apparent problem in his Russian Time car.
Feature race winner De Vries was able to make incredible gains during this race to bring himself up to a fourth-place finish behind Albon. Markelov eventually took the chequered flag in fifth place followed by Luca Ghiotto, Russell and Trident’s Arjun Maini.
Three rounds of F2 remain and a lot can happen in six races. The scrap between Russell, Norris and Albon and is far from over with the third-place driver closing the gap this weekend.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
- Pictures: Formula 2’s colourful new-look field for 2024
- New qualifying red flag rule will stop drivers “ruining the session for everyone else”
- F2 racer Crawford joins Aston Martin’s young driver programme
- Barnard completes Formula 2 grid by joining PHM
- Sauber hires former Red Bull junior Maloney as reserve driver