Formula E driver Felix Rosenqvist has signed to drive for front-running IndyCar team Ganassi in 2019, RaceFans has learned.
Four-time IndyCar champion and current points leader Scott Dixon signed a new multi-year deal with the team earlier this season. Ganassi does not intend to expand beyond two cars next year, meaning Ed Jones is set to lose his drive to Rosenqvist at the end of his first season at the team.
Rosenqvist is considered one of the top talents of recent seasons to have been overlooked by Formula 1. He won the 2015 European Formula Three championship for Prema and is a two-time winner of the Macau Grand Prix.
He has already had a brief spell of racing in America, where he won three Indy Lights races with Belardi, including his second start for the team at St Petersburg. He then moved on to Formula E with Mahindra, finishing third in the 2017-17 championship.
His 2017-18 campaign began strongly, with wins in the second and third rounds putting him ahead in the points, but he slipped to sixth in the final classification.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
- Kirkwood lands IndyCar drive for 2022 after sweep of junior series titles
- Andretti-Alfa Romeo F1 deal fell apart at 11th hour due to “control issues”
- DeFrancesco to make IndyCar debut with Andretti in 2022
- Hulkenberg rules out IndyCar move after McLaren SP test
- New location for IndyCar’s Detroit Grand Prix from 2023