Mercedes have again picked fewer sets of hyper-softs than any of their rivals for the next round of the world championship.Lewis Hamilton’s championship rival Sebastian Vettel has picked nine.
Renault has selected the most sets of the softest tyre available, with 10 sets each for Nico Hulkenberg and Carlos Sainz Jnr.
As was the case in Singapore, Pirelli has nominated its two softest tyres – the hyper-soft and ultra-soft – then skipped the super-soft and offered the soft as the hardest tyre for this weekend.
Vettel has just one set of the hardest tyre in Pirelli’s range, the soft. The Mercedes pair have a pair of these tyres each, giving them the option of testing one set in practice while keeping a fresh set for the race.
2018 Russian Grand Prix tyre selections
|Carlos Sainz Jnr
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2018 F1 season
- McLaren staff told us we were “totally crazy” to take Honda engines in 2018 – Tost
- ‘It doesn’t matter if we start last’: How Red Bull’s junior team aided Honda’s leap forward
- Honda’s jet division helped F1 engineers solve power unit problem
- McLaren Racing losses rise after Honda split
- Ricciardo: Baku “s***show” was Red Bull’s fault