“I think Charles will fight for the title next year for sure,” said Ocon. “At least it won’t be a surprise to me.”
Ocon said he rates Leclerc as one of the quickest drivers in Formula 1.
“I know him pretty well. The first race we raced together was in 2005 in mini-karts we were seven, eight years old. And we were first and second and I was on the inside and we crashed in the last corner of the last lap so he didn’t finish and I finished like sixth or seventh. That was the first time we met and all our career we’ve been fighting like this together.
“I knew he had a very good talent from day one. He’s one of the quickest guys out there. I think he will show that next year, definitely.”
Ocon has lost his F1 race seat this year but hopes the success of drivers like Leclerc and new Red Bull signing Pierre Gasly encourages more teams to consider signing younger drivers.
“I think you will see that Pierre and Charles are going to fight for wins and podiums. Probably the mentality of Formula 1 is going to change with that, seeing that young drivers can do the job too. That’s going to only help the younger ones coming in.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’