Alfa Romeo ran its new car for the 2019 F1 season for the first time today at Ferrari’s test circuit Fiorano.
Team principal Frederic Vasseur said the team enjoyed a “positive day” at Fiorano.
“We ran the 2019 car for the first time and were able to assess the progress we have made in our development ahead of the first tests in Barcelona next week.
“The whole team is pushing to start the season with the best possible base. Our drivers and crew are motivated, and we look forward to heading into the championship and delivering a strong performance.”
Technical director Simone Resta, who has joined the former Sauber team from Ferrari, said the team conducted the necessary preliminary checks of its new chassis prior to the start of testing on Monday.
“After a long winter we are happy to be on track with our new car for the first time,” he said.
“The focus of our work today was on aerodynamic, set-up and cooling checks. We ran for a total of 33 laps and will use our data to establish how the new regulations will affect the behaviour of our car.
“The next two weeks which we will spend in Barcelona will be busy and will concentrate on proving the car’s reliability and performance.”
Pictures: Alfa Romeo’s filming day at Fiorano
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’