“It’s a bit early to really compare but the first feeling is positive,” said Gasly after his first run in the RB15 today. “I think that they did a really good job over the winter.
“We managed to do many laps. Also Toro Rosso managed to do many laps. So overall I think so far we were really pleased.”
However Gasly said it’s still early days for the team in understanding how competitive it will be in 2019.
“I think it’s too early to talk about expectations at the moment. We need to understand the overall performance of our package.
“It was important for us to have the first feedback with this car but so far everything’s good. We tested some really positive things, some other negatives and we need to understand a bit more before [we] have any expectations.”
Gasly’s test was curtailed early when he spun into a barrier. “At the end I was at turn 10 and came back on the power and as I up-shifted to fifth I lost the rear and I lost the car,” he explained.
“It was quite annoying to lose the last hour of testing today,” he added.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’