Mercedes also revealed more performance from their W10. Valtteri Bottas was second quickest on a 1’16.561 which is over a second quicker than anything the team had done in testing until today.
Two other drivers lapped under the 1’17 mark. Daniil Kvyat was third- fastest for Toro Rosso on a 1’16.898, 15 thousandths of a second ahead of Carlos Sainz Jnr in the McLaren.
Rom ain Grosjean, fifth, set Haas’s quickest lap of testing so far with a 1’17.076 in the VF-19. He covered a useful 73 laps for the team which was dogged by reliability problems yesterday.
The only red flag of the session was caused by Kimi Raikkonen, who came to a stop at turn three a few minutes before the lunch break.
Following Pierre Gasly’s heavy crash during the end of yesterday’s test, Red Bull completed repairs to their RB15 in time for Max Verstappen to join in from the first hour of running. However he only covered 29 laps, the fewest of any driver.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 pre-season testing day eight morning times
|Pos.||Car number||Driver||Team||Model||Best time||Gap||Laps||Tyres|
|3||26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso||STR14||1’16.898||0.677||52||C5|
|4||55||Carlos Sainz Jnr||McLaren||MCL34||1’16.913||0.692||59||C5|
|7||7||Kimi Raikkonen||Alfa Romeo||C38||1’17.239||1.018||61||C5|
|8||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull||RB15||1’17.709||1.488||29||C3|
|9||11||Sergio Perez||Racing Point||RP19||1’17.791||1.570||36||C5|
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’