With a point on offer for fastest lap, Leclerc stood a chance of claiming the bonus if Ferrari pitted him for new tyres. But Binotto said the team did not want to take the risk.
“We had the window to pit Charles for new tyres [and] try to go for the fast lap,” he confirmed. “But I think at that stage whenever you pit it may be a risk and I think for us it was more important for us to bring the car home, score the points.
“Sometimes there are races where we are not the best but it’s still important to score points and at the end that was our choice. We will review certainly on the race and we will eventually review the decision but the decision was for that reason.”
Leclerc said earlier in the weekend he expected teams would bring their drivers in for a ‘free’ pit stop to chase the fastest lap if the opportunity presented itself.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’