However he believes he could have had had another podium in 2017, when he tangled with team mate Esteban Ocon early in the race.
“We’ve been perfect for two years,” said Perez. “We should have three podiums here, unfortunately we had a little contact between team mates and that ruined the the chances for the team.
“But apart from that it’s been a fantastic venue and it’s always good racing here. It’s so important to stay out of trouble. I think it’s the hardest thing around here, not to make any mistakes.”
Following Friday’s practice sessions Perez said the team has more work to do to get the car in its usual Baku sweet spot.
“I was not as confident as other years straight away. I think the car is not giving me that confidence. We saw what happened to Lance. The car, it’s difficult to put it on the edge. So we have to try to come up with something and hopefully we can improve a lot.”
“I think other cars are very competitive around here,” he added, “We see Toro Rosso, the McLarens, it’s not going to be easy to be in Q3 but we will try our best.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’