“Definitely this is not our strongest race in the season,” said Hamilton. “This has always been a bit of a difficult race for me.”
Hamilton scored his only win at the Baku circuit last year after Bottas hit a piece of debris and retired.
“I just struggle here,” Hamilton explained. “There’s certain races I struggle at compared to others. I can’t really point it out. I got quicker at the end but it was too late by then.”
Hamilton said second place was “a really good result considering and a fantastic result for the team”. He said Bottas “did an exceptional job this weekend, truly deserved the win.
“I would say a bit of an under-par performance from myself so I just need to work hard.”
“I didn’t get the job done in qualifying, he did,” Hamilton added. “And in the race I was too friendly at turn one and basically gave it to him. He drove a fantastic race, made no mistakes, so he deserved the win this weekend.”
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’