“The team reminded me about the fastest lap,” Hamilton explained. “I went for it, I can’t remember what lap it was, but initially I pulled a really nice gap, like five seconds after a couple of laps, a really good couple of decent laps, and then I think after that I did the fastest lap. Then I was about to go again but they said that I had it.”
Bottas also made an attempt to set the fastest lap of the race before Mercedes told their drivers to back off. He said he initially tried to find a way past Hamilton at the restart then backed off before trying to set the fastest lap.
“The first lap of the restart I tried to see if there’s any opportunity for me to get him,” said Bottas. “There wasn’t, so the next lap I went to charging mode on the battery so I fully charged it, tried the lap after but I felt I’d already lost the edge of the new tyre.
“So Lewis had it one lap earlier so he got it. Obviously for me being right behind him it’s quite impossible with the same car to set a quicker lap time.”
Bottas’s quickest time was a 1’18.737, 0.245 seconds slower than Hamilton’s. After setting it he was told on the radio: “OK Valtteri so instruction you’re not going for fastest lap until the end, Lewis has got fastest lap.”
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’