RaceFans understands Mercedes will use the red Halos for the rest of the race weekend.
Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff paid tribute to Lauda’s determination to win, saying his only concern this weekend would be how the team performed.
“Niki watching us would be interested to see how this weekend goes on track, here, and nothing else,” said Wolff.
“I think one of the most immense character traits that Niki had was that he never stopped fighting. His accident definitely is a date that is important in his life but Niki would have seen it differently.
“He lived his life every single day he was able to live in the present, not look into the past, he didn’t care about the past, the past was gone. He lived in the present and he wanted to achieve more in the future.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’