Hamilton said he wants to produce “something special” for today’s race. “We’re professionals so you get in and do what you love doing. Niki would just want us to get in.
“Niki and would always just say ‘give it arseholes’, so that’s what I try to do every time I get in the car. That’s honestly what he said all the time. We just try to walk around with a smile and really try to lift each other up, as I said, and do him proud.
“I think so far hopefully we are and we have to continue to try to pull out something special tomorrow. Max [Verstappen] has been really quick this weekend as well, so anything can happen, so still got a good job to do [in the race]. But there’s no better place to start.”
The grand prix will begin after a one-minute’s silence for the three-times champion, who won the Monte-Carlo street race in 1975 and 1976.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’