“I arrived to the last chicane and I had Pierre in front of me,” Verstappen explained. “He was told to speed up but I don’t know exactly what happened then so I arrived into the chicane, and basically in the wake of his car I understeered into the wall.”
The contact forced Verstappen into the pits. “It’s a shame we missed a bit of running because of that,” he said. “When we were running we looked quite decent.”
On the radio Verstappen reported he “hit the wall out of the last corner” because “I had Pierre really close in front.” Gasly’s radio messages show he was warned about Verstappen when he was already in the braking zone for the final corner.
“They told me quite late when I was preparing my lap behind Romain [Grosjean],” Gasly explained, “and then when they told me I started to push.
“I could see he was like five seconds behind. They told me he hit the wall but I didn’t exactly see what happened so I was trying to prepare my lap.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’