He revealed afterwards he “had no idea” about the situation between the drivers ahead of him. “I was not told on the radio that Seb had the five seconds penalty. I was just trying to push.”
Ferrari originally suggested Leclerc should make an extra pit stop to try to claim the bonus point for fastest lap, but he chose to stay out.
“They thought it was good at first to two-stop to do the fastest lap but I didn’t agree. I really wanted to try and push because I could see that I was quicker than the two guys in front. I wanted to have my chance if something happened but I didn’t know about the five second so I just pushed until the end.”
Leclerc lost time earlier in the race when he extended his first stint. “We just tried to go long I think for a Virtual Safety Car or something like that to cover it in case there was one,” he explained.
“After[wards] you can always argue whether it was the right thing to do or not. Today not because we lost quite a lot of previous time that we had to catch up after that.
“But overall I think it’s a good performance on my side today. The laps were competitive from the first one to the last one. Just unfortunate that we couldn’t do a bit better.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’