After speaking to both drivers the stewards ruled Russell “unnecessarily impeded car 26 [Kvyat] after the apex of turn nine.”
Russell had not been informed of Kvyat’s approach early enough, the stewards determined.
“Car 63 [Russell] was not given the requisite warning by the team in a timely fashion about car 26 approaching on a fast lap,” they noted.
“Furthermore, the situation was compounded by car 23 overtaking car 63 during a slow lap, just before the incident in question.”
Russell has also been given the first endorsement point on his licence.
This article will be updated.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’