The FIA has begun a formal investigation into the crash which claimed the life of Anthoine Hubert during yesterday’s Formula 2 feature race.
FIA race director Michael Masi confirmed the investigation into the crash had already begun.
“There’s an investigation [which] started yesterday and it will go from here,” he said. “The FIA with our technical department, our safety department, all of the various departments within the FIA, have commenced an investigation immediately.
“The FIA, together with the RACB, the Royal Automobile Club of Belgium, will work together with the authorities and the investigation will go from there.”
Masi indicated he will not comment further on the crash until the investigation has concluded.
The circumstances of the crash created an unprecedented situation which led to the cancellation of Sunday’s F2 sprint race, said Masi.
“It was a decision that was made jointly by the FIA as a whole together with the F2 promoter with the full support of the F1 Group,” he said.
“I don’t think there’s any obvious precedent,” he added. “You’ve got to look at everything on the circumstances.”
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
- Antonelli’s first F2 races key to chance of replacing Hamilton
- Pictures: Formula 2’s colourful new-look field for 2024
- New qualifying red flag rule will stop drivers “ruining the session for everyone else”
- F2 racer Crawford joins Aston Martin’s young driver programme
- Barnard completes Formula 2 grid by joining PHM