Motor sport safety film launch to go ahead after fatal crash

IndyCar

Posted on

| Written by

The producers of Rapid Response, a new film on the subject of motor sport safety, have expressed their sympathy for those involved in last weekend’s fatal crash at Spa but said the film’s launch this week will go ahead as planned.

The documentary, which covers the pursuit of safety innovations in IndyCar racing, is due to open on Friday. It features footage of several fatal crashes including the deaths of Gonzalo Rodriguez in 1999, Gordon Smiley in 1982, and Eddie Sachs and Dace MacDonald in 1964. The film is rated 12A by the British Board of Film Classification.

A statement supplied to RaceFans on behalf the film’s producers said: “We are truly saddened by the events at Spa that claimed the life of Anthoine Hubert and injured driver Juan Manuel Correa and our thoughts go out to the teams, friends and family of the drivers.

“Rapid Response explores advancements in safety in American open-wheel racing and how doctors, safety personnel and engineers struggled for decades to build a scientific approach to improve safety in motor sport. The film is an examination of a specific set of doctors and safety personnel in American open-wheel racing over a distinct time period.

“It should not be considered a commentary on modern racing safety or safety in any other racing series. While these are uncomfortable topics to discuss, we produced Rapid Response to look back at the history of motor sport and build a better understanding of the progression of racing safety. Rapid Response concludes with the acknowledgement that motor racing safety has improved but it can never be considered safe.”

The film’s release also follows the death of American racing driver Jessi Combs in a Land Speed Record attempt last week.

“Anthoine Hubert, Juan Manuel Correa and Jessi Combs are just three drivers who have recently suffered serious or fatal injuries in motor sport among many drivers who have been injured in motor racing in recent years,” the statement continues.

“Rapid Response is a look back at the pioneers in safety from a past and markedly more dangerous period in motor racing, but their work isn’t finished. The sport needs pioneers who will always push to improve safety and strive to make it safer.

“Rapid Response will release on September 6th, 2019 with a warning to all audience members that the film examines motor racing injuries and fatalities and viewer discretion is advised.”

Read RaceFans’ review of Rapid Response

Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and go ad-free

IndyCar

Browse all IndyCar articles

Author information

Keith Collantine
Lifelong motor sport fan Keith set up RaceFans in 2005 - when it was originally called F1 Fanatic. Having previously worked as a motoring...

Got a potential story, tip or enquiry? Find out more about RaceFans and contact us here.

Posted on Categories IndyCarTags ,

Promoted content from around the web | Become a RaceFans Supporter to hide this ad and others

  • 3 comments on “Motor sport safety film launch to go ahead after fatal crash”

    1. Logically, as holding it back would accomplish exactly nothing.

      1. Jonathan Parkin
        4th September 2019, 13:17

        Really surprised the BBFC rated it a 12. I thought a 15 would be more appropriate given that it includes real life fatal crashes.

        1. There is a trailer on youtube. same warning applied i think.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPUZKqaWQAg

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    All comments are moderated. See the Comment Policy and FAQ for more.
    If the person you're replying to is a registered user you can notify them of your reply using '@username'.