Charles Leclerc told Ferrari their tactics were “not fair” as he lost victory in the Singapore Grand Prix to his team mate.Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel. However Vettel moved into the lead of the race after Ferrari pitted him on the lap before Leclerc.
Vettel’s early pit stop allowed him to benefit from fresher tyres sooner than Leclerc. That pace advantage meant Leclerc came out of the pits behind him when he made his subsequent pit stop.
The pair remained in the same order until the end of the race. However Leclerc repeatedly complained the pit stop strategy has spoiled his chances of winning.
During one of a series of Safety Car restarts in the second half of the race, Leclerc was told to make a settings change on his power unit. He replied: “I want everything. Even engine mode.”
Ferrari advised him: “We need to bring the car home. We need to manage the PU [power unit] and bring the car home.”
“I won’t do anything stupid,” Leclerc replied, “it’s not my goal. I want us to finish one-two. I just think it’s not fair. But this won’t change, I won’t be stupid, don’t worry.”
Leclerc followed Vettel home, scoring the team’s first one-two finish of 2019. Vettel’s win was his first for over a year.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’