Formula 1 teams have been asked to approve a new name for Toro Rosso from the 2020 season.
RaceFans understands the sport’s commercial rights holder has already given permission for the change. In order for the change to go ahead it now requires the approval of the F1 Commission.
This has been requested via an ‘e-vote’. Teams have until Thursday next week to indicate their approval or otherwise.
The proposal would see Toro Rosso’s chassis name change from ‘Scuderia Toro Rosso (STR14)’ to ‘Scuderia Alpha Tauri’, and its team name change from ‘Red Bull Toro Rosso’ to ‘Scuderia Alpha Tauri Honda’.
Toro Rosso has run under its current name, the Italian translation of ‘Red Bull’, since it entered F1 in 2006 when Red Bull took over the former Minardi team.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Pictures: Wrecked chassis from Grosjean’s Bahrain fireball crash to go on display
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers