Formula 1 Management has damped speculation that one or more new teams could join the championship after a second potential entrant revealed its plans.issued a statement announcing his intention to enter a new team in 2021. Gandolfo claimed he had spoken to F1 CEO Chase Carey and motorsport director Ross Brawn on at least three occasions.
As RaceFans has reported previously another potential new team, Panthera Team Asia F1, has declared its interest in entering the championship in 2021.
However a statement issued this evening by F1 cast doubt on whether any of the possible new entries would be admitted into the championship.
“Following publicity in recent days from several entities that have indicated their ambition to participate in the FIA Formula One World Championship from 2021, while Formula 1 appreciates their interest, we can confirm that there are no serious discussions with any persons or companies about the admission of a new team,” said the statement from Formula 1.
Previously new entries into the championship have been subject to the approval of the FIA rather than Formula 1 Management. This was the case when the most recent new entrant, Haas, was approved five years ago.
A Campos spokesperson told RaceFans it expects to learn from the FIA at the end of this month which teams have been accepted into the championship in 2021.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Red Bull pin hopes on high altitude tracks after “Hamilton stronghold” COTA
- Verstappen has no obvious weaknesses, it’s hard being his team mate – Perez
- F1 will have more sprint qualifying rounds in 2022 but can it fix its contradictions?
- F1 addressing concerns over COTA’s bumps and Losail’s pit lane entrance
- F1’s growing calendar a key obstacle to Williams’ ‘carbon positive’ goal – Capito